Expertise:Traffic & Technology View All People
Leif Garnass, PE, PTOE
Leif has 15 years of experience in Traffic and Transportation Engineering. He serves as a Project Manager for preliminary design projects while leading SRF’s Traffic Operations Group. This includes overseeing traffic studies for large-scale freeway projects, subarea studies, rural highways, multimodal arterial corridors, transit uses and roundabouts. Through this work, Leif is involved in public and stakeholder engagement which includes leading public open houses, business and property owner meetings and presentations to policy makers. This requires taking detailed technical knowledge and simplifying the messages at key points allowing stakeholders to make informed decisions.
Leif also lead SRF’s VISSIM simulation of multimodal traffic flows. Having been a VISSIM user since 2004, he has a wide range of experience using the software program evaluating traffic flows of cars, trucks, buses, light-rail transit, heavy rail, bicyclists and pedestrians. This experience helps to develop traffic solutions that promote safety and improve mobility for all users within communities.
His recent projects include:
- Preliminary Engineering for the TH 169 and 101st Avenue Interchange
- Highway 23 Safety Assessments for Marshall and New London
- Passing Lane Assessments for Highways 23, 59, 29, 15 and 212
- Lincoln Way Multimodal Study
- Blue Line and Green Line LRT Extensions
- Downtown Ottumwa One-Way to Two-way Conversion
- MnDOT District 4 Shoulder Widening Prioritization
- Highway 77 Managed Lane and Cedar Grove Transit Access Study