Mike serves as director of marketing and principal in charge of SRF’s research and safety practice area.
Recognized as a trusted advisor, connector, and resource, Mike is responsible for fostering an engaging culture at SRF. He skillfully facilitates and maintains positive relationships with clients and partners, which lay the groundwork for mutual success.
Over the past 30+ years, Mike has also provided training and developing education materials for city and county engineers—much of which has been targeted at making roadways safer. The combination of being a professional engineer (practitioner) and technology transfer specialist (teacher) has enabled him to work very closely with the public works community to understand their needs and culture to develop implementable and practical solutions. He has designed, developed and delivered hundreds of educational workshops, videos, DVDs and best practices to engineering staff throughout the Midwest. Mike received the APWA Donald C. Stone Award for Excellence in Education in 2009.
Mike has worked extensively with Minnesota’s Local Road Research Board:
- Why Aren’t They Fixing My Road
- Speed Limits: Why Do We Have Them?
- Stop Signs: Why Do We Have Them on Residential Roads
- How About a Roundabout: The Minnesota Experience DVD
- Roads and Loads: Finding a Balance DVD
- Minnesota Rural Road Safety Solutions Workshop
- Minnesota Statewide County Roadway Safety Plans
- University of Minnesota Sign Maintenance and Management Online Course
In addition to his research work, Mike has also managed SRF work on helping develop county road safety plans for all of the counties in both Minnesota and North Dakota. These pioneering projects are instrumental to both states with their goals of Toward Zero Deaths.