Joe has more than 30 years of experience in the design and construction of transportation projects. This experience includes 20 years at MnDOT and 12+ years as a consulting engineer working in pavement and geotechnical engineering, contract administration, and quality management for the construction of federal, state, and locally funded projects.
Joe’s project experience includes managing contract administration and quality assurance for the design and construction of numerous infrastructure and transportation projects in Minnesota including design-build projects. Joe has served in a management role for design and construction quality on seven design-build projects and is currently serving as the Quality Assurance Manager for Civil Construction of the Metro Green Line Extension (known as the Southwest Light Rail Transit project) for the Metropolitan Council. This $800 million project includes construction of 14.5 miles of grade and track, 16 new stations, nine park and ride facilities, a tunnel and bridges for grade-separated crossings. In this role, Joe supports the Council’s Authorized Representative (CAR) in managing quality assurance inspection and testing staff to assure and document the construction contractor’s compliance with project contract documents. He is responsible for the development and implementation of the Quality Assurance Plan, which includes the Testing and Inspection Plans working to address quality issues and non-conformance identified during inspections and checks of work in progress and completed work.
In addition, Joe has expertise in research for pavement design, construction, and performance. He provides pavement engineering services to clients and has authored reports for the National Road Research Administration (NRRA), Minnesota Road Research (MnROAD), and Minnesota Local Road Research Board (LRRB).
Joe has managed the construction administration and oversight of the following projects:
- MnDOT TH 610 Design-Build, Maple Grove to Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
- MnDOT TH 36, Saint Croix River Crossing, Oak Park Heights, Minnesota and St. Joseph, Wisconsin
- MnDOT TH 169 and I-494 Interchange Reconstruction, Bloomington to Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- Ramsey County White Bear Avenue Reconstruction: I-94 to Beech Street, Minnesota
- Metro Transit Cedar Grove Transit Station Improvements, Eagan, Minnesota
- City of Saint Paul Grand Avenue ADA and Pedestrian Safety Improvements and Expo Safe Routes to School Projects, Minnesota
Areas of Expertise:
- Project Management
- Design-Build Quality Management
- Contract Administration
- Bridges, Wall Structures, and Embankment Construction
- Construction Inspection
- Materials Testing and Certification
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Pavement Design, Management, and Rehabilitation