Intersection Conflict Warning Systems (ICWS) reduce intersections crashes. These systems provide drivers at stop-controlled intersections with a dynamic warning of other vehicles approaching the intersection.
SRF staff have extensive experience is the development and implementation of various ICWS systems. Our team has contributed to the Enterprise Pooled Fund study, an effort that engaged multiple member states to develop uniform ICWS solutions through the systems engineering process. SRF staff have drawn on this expertise to lead the planning, system engineering, design, construction oversight and/or evaluation activities for ICWS deployments in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin and South Dakota. Our experience includes:
- SRF provided design oversight, construction oversight, design-build project support, and warranty management for MnDOT’s rural ICWS project that deployed 50 systems.
- WisDOT’s Through Route Active Warning System (TRAWS) was deployed to address crash issues. SRF provided site review and design services for this system.
- SRF provided systems engineering and detailed design documents for the Iowa DOT’s ICWS.
- SRF provided systems engineering, design and testing services for the first ICWS deployment for the South Dakota DOT.
- SRF assisted Carver County and St. Louis County in the development of their ICWS programs. MnDOT hired SRF to evaluate the performance of a lower cost Mainline Dynamic Warning System (MDWS) developed and deployed by St. Louis County.
- SRF developed an ICWS and LED STOP sign guide for the Local Research Board to provide local engineers information on site selection, deployment, and construction.