Derek has more than 25 years of multimodal transportation system planning and traffic engineering experience as a transportation planner and professional engineer in Wisconsin. He currently manages SRF’s Wisconsin offices located in Madison, Milwaukee and La Crosse, delivering the highest quality professional planning and engineering services to his clients.
Derek specializes in developing computer models used to forecast the need for new highways and transit services based on trip-making changes due to land use changes over time. He earned his Master of Science degree in Community and Regional Planning from North Dakota State University and his Master of Science degree in Civil and Environmental Engineering from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Derek’s project efforts typically focus on providing project leadership and technical expertise on site development and traffic impact assessment studies, transportation corridor preservation and safety studies, and regional travel demand forecasting studies. He enjoys spending a significant amount of his time working with clients to help solve their most challenging issues.
Notable SRF projects managed by Derek include:
- WIS 19 Corridor Preservation Study (Dane County)
- US 51 Safety and Mobility Corridor Study (Dane and Columbia Counties)
- IH-94 Safety and Operation Needs Study (Hudson to Oconomowoc)
- Northwest Wisconsin Regional Travel Demand Model Development
- Bishops Bay Traffic Impact Study (3,000 new homes in Dane County)
- Middleton, Wisconsin Multimodal Downtown Circulation Study
- Wisconsin Speed Management Policy Study